Proposed cuts to Active Schools
Active Schools is one of the proposed cuts by Midlothian Council.
This means Active Schools would be deleted in its entirety, the decision is being made on 12th February.
Active Schools is run in partnership with sportscotland: 75% of the funding comes from sportscotland, and Midlothian Council contributes 25%.
The services from Active Schools that will no longer be provided include:
- All low cost/free and accessible extra curricular sports clubs in schools and local community
- All Midlothian wide primary, secondary and disability sports events/festivals
- Provision of an Active Schools Coordinator for every school in Midlothian
- Pupil leadership programmes across primary and secondary
- Pathways from school sport to local clubs, including free club taster sessions
- Development and free training for coaches, volunteers and young people in sport
If these are all cut, the impact will effect:
- Health and future of Midlothian young people
- Mental health and wellbeing
- Attainment and life skills
- Local ASN/Disability opportunities
- Range of free/low cost sporting opportunities
- Social interaction and enjoyment
- Opportunity to try a wide range of activities and sports
- Equality – Midlothian schoolchildren will no longer have the same opportunities as those in other local authorities
We would welcome your support in our fight to continue our services by contacting your local Councillor raising your concerns:
Thank you in advance for your support.
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to get in contact with us: ActiveSchools@midlothian.gov.uk